Effective date: 31 August 2017
The legal bases for processing Personal Data for the purposes described herein are: necessary for the performance of our services to you, for compliance with legal obligations to which we are subject and for the purpose of our legitimate business interests.
Information We Collect
We collect Personal Data about you that you provide to us directly or automatically when accessing or using the Site.
Personal Data which may be collected include:
- Your name, address, phone number, credit card details, e-mail address, accommodation name, accommodation location and/or length of stay. This information and other relevant information you may provide is collected at the time you make a reservation, make an enquiry or make a complaint. You may choose not to provide us with certain information but if so we may not be able to handle your enquiry or request fully or at all. This information will be retained for up to 6 months or as may be required by the applicable law following the completion of your reservation, enquiry or complaint.
- Other information such as your IP address, geographic data, your nationality and password, search preferences related to specific searches, which browser you’re using, and information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages that have been shown to you. This information is collected automatically when you access / use the Site and helps us enhance your user experience if you return to the Site and improve the Site and the services we provide. This information will be retained for up to 6 months or as may be required by the applicable law following your access / use of the Site.
- Data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics and latitude/longitude details. This information is collected when you access / use the Site using a mobile device. You may change the settings of your mobile device if you do not want us to collect such information. This information will be retained for up to 6 months or as may be required by the applicable law following your access / use of the Site.
- Details of the means through which a reservation is made, and websites which you have used to make your reservation. This information is collected when you make a reservation. This information will be retained for up to 6 months or as may be required by the applicable law following your access / use of the Site.
The Site may contain third-party links that are not under our control. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such third parties. We ask you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
Protecting Your Personal Data
We maintain reasonable physical, electronic and organisational procedures designed to protect Personal Data against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, or unauthorised disclosure or access. To protect credit card transactions, Meridian Adventure uses Paypal technology (or other technology consistent with industry standards) to encrypt credit card information during transit.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- General Use: We use Personal Data and other information collected through the Site to (a) register you with the Site and create your user account, (b) provide you with the requested services (mainly to process and confirm your reservation with the accommodation provider or other supplier) after verifying your credentials, (c) provide you with information about our services on the Site or on other websites and to communicate with you to the extent necessary to provide such requested services, (d) build features that will make the services available on the Site easier to use, (e) for an improved user experience, internal training and general optimisation purposes, (f) for the detection, prevention and handling of fraud, violation of our terms & conditions and other misuse, illegal or unwanted activities or (g) contact you in case there is any issue with your booking. This includes faster purchase requests, better customer support and timely notice of new services and special offers.
- Marketing Activities & Reminders: We also use your information for marketing activities, as permitted by law and with your consent (if this is required by the applicable law). For example:
- When you make a reservation with us, set up a user account, complete or enter details into a booking form, or provide us with your contact details we may use your contact information to send you news of similar travel-related products and services. We may also send you other regular newsletters by email. You can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communications at any time using the “Unsubscribe” link in each newsletter or communication, or you can administer your subscriptions through your account (if you’ve created one).
- Based on the information you share with us and information we collect about your visit including the full URL, clickstream to, through and from the Site (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page, individualised offers may be shown to you on the Site, in mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites. These might be offers that you can book directly on the Site, or third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting.
- If you have not finalised a reservation online, we may send you a reminder to continue with your reservation. We believe that this additional service is useful to you because it allows you to carry on with a reservation without having to search for the accommodation again or fill in all the reservation details from scratch.
- Please note that the confirmation emails and text messages sent after your booking, as well as the guest review emails sent after your departure, are not marketing messages. These messages are part of your accommodation reservation process. Respectively, they contain information for you to check in at your booked accommodation, and tools to optionally rate that accommodation after your stay. You will continue to receive them, even if you have opted out of our marketing messages.
- Credit Card on File: When logging in, you will have the ability to save credit card details to your personal account for faster future bookings and payments. We use industry standard encryption for the purposes of securing your payment information, and you can always log in to your personal account to delete, edit or add certain credit card details. For security reasons, the number cannot be edited (but the card details can be deleted). When viewing card details, only the last 4 digits of the number will be visible. Please note that we will store the last 4 digits of your credit card securely upon any booking made (this is required to manage any refund requests for that booking).
Sharing Your Personal Data
Meridian Adventure may share your Personal Data with suppliers and partners such as accommodation properties and other third parties we appoint to perform services on our behalf, such as third party loyalty programs, web hosting, data analysis, marketing (also on websites of such third parties), customer care, credit card and payment services and related services. All such third parties will be under an obligation to maintain the security and confidentiality of the Personal Data, and to process the Personal Data only in accordance with our instructions.
We do not rent, sell, or share your Personal Data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
In some cases, Meridian Adventure may require that you transact directly with a third party to obtain services, or when you use the Site to reserve an accommodation room or obtain another service (such as points under a third-party loyalty program), we may provide your Personal Data to that accommodation property or other involved third party.
Subject to your prior consent (if this is required by the applicable law), Meridian Adventure may propose other services (typically “add-ons”) to help plan your trip, to offer certain benefits (e.g. get points for third party loyalty or mileage programs) or for another purpose that may interest you. These services are offered by third party providers. As stated above, relevant data about this service may be shared with such third party providers to ensure optimal service.
However, we reserve the right to disclose your Personal Data to our affiliated (group) companies (in and outside your home country), including our affiliated (group) companies’ employees and our trusted agents and representatives who have access to this information with our permission and who need to know or have access to this information to perform the service requested by you (including customer services) and internal (audit/compliance) investigations.
Meridian Adventure may, in compliance with applicable law, disclose Personal Data to protect ourselves against liability, to respond to subpoenas, judicial processes, legitimate requests, warrants or equivalent by law enforcement officials or authorities, to investigate fraud or other wrongdoing or as otherwise required or necessary in order to comply with applicable law, protect our legitimate interests or to the purchasers in connection with any sale, assignment, or other transfer of all or a part of our business or company. We may also, in compliance with applicable law, disclose Personal Data to enforce or apply the terms and conditions applicable to our services or to protect the rights, property or safety of Meridian Adventure, our users or others.
In the situations described above, the recipient of the Personal Data may be located in a jurisdiction that may have different standards of data protection compared to the laws in your home jurisdiction. We shall only transfer Personal Data to recipients offering an adequate protection (e.g. by means of contractual clauses to safeguard the transfer of Personal Data). If you have questions in relation to the transfer of Personal Data and the means by which adequate protection is provided, please contact us.
Our Policy Concerning Cookies and Page Tags
Subject to your consent to our cookies and tags (if this is required by the applicable law), our Site will use session and persistent cookies as well as page tags to collect and store certain information about you. A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your computer from the Site and stored on your computer’s hard drive. A page tag is a piece of code which reads and writes cookie data. Cookies or page tags may be from Meridian Adventure and/or third party vendors we have chosen to work with. Session cookies disappear from your computer when you close the browser. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after the browser has been closed, but can be deleted at any time through your browser settings. The use of these cookies and page tags may vary, and are described in the appropriate sections below.
Meridian Adventure Cookies
Meridian Adventure uses a session cookie to keep you logged in throughout your visit to the Site.
Meridian Adventure uses persistent cookies to “personalise” the Site for each user by remembering information about the user’s visit to and activities on the Site, e.g., the language you selected, your log-in details so that you do not need to re-enter them at your next visit to the Site.
Meridian Adventure also uses persistent cookies or page tags to analyse your surfing behaviour and your visit to the Site enabling us to improve the Site and our services and to tailor our advertising (via email, on our Site, and on other websites) according to the interests of our users. Such cookies and page tags gather information about the pages you visited on the Site and the searches you performed
If you want to prevent your browser from accepting cookies, if you want to be informed whenever a cookie is stored on your computer or if you want to delete cookies from your computer, please make the necessary changes in your Internet browser settings, typically under the sections “Help” or “Internet Options”. If you disable or delete cookies in your Internet browser settings, you might not be able to access or use important functions or features of this Site, and you will be required to re-enter your log-in details. Please also note that opting out of a third party cookie (see below) does not mean that you will no longer receive or be subject to online behavioural advertising or marketing analysis. It means that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and usage patterns. Please also note that if you clear all cookies on your browser, or use a different browser or computer, you will need to complete the opt-out procedure again.
We do not currently respond to web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that provide a method to opt out of the collection of information across networks of websites and online services.
Third party companies may use persistent cookies to analyse your surfing behaviour on and your visit to this Site as well as other web sites enabling us to improve the Site and our services. Website analytics platforms may be used to collect unidentifiable information for reports such as impression reporting, demographic reporting and interest reporting. To opt out of collection of information by third parties for analytic purposes, please click on one or more of the third party links in the above “Opt Out Tools” section.
Third Party Cookies and Page Tags
Our third party advertising companies may place cookies or page tags on some of the pages you visit on the Site. These cookies or page tags are designed to collect non-personally identifiable information in order to analyze your interests and searches when visiting our Site and to serve you advertisements specifically tailored to your interests and searches when you are visiting our Site or other websites or when using mobile applications. The non-personally identifiable information collected through cookies and page tags may be shared with other third parties for purpose of managing and targeting advertisements and for market research analysis. In addition, we may share one-way hashed (undecipherable) data with third party vendors using advertisement targeting products. Such third party vendors typically use hashed device identifiers to serve custom ads based on a user’s prior visits to the Site. As a consequence, third party vendors may show our ads on other websites or mobile apps.
Meridian Adventure may use a combination of the above cookies and page tags to tailor your experience with our Site, our mobile application and our ads to your preferences. We use display and search remarketing to tailor ad content for a better experience.
Meridian Adventure takes reasonable efforts to not collect, and to prevent the use of, personally identifiable information in third party advertising solutions, unless you have authorized this. To opt out of collection of information by third parties for advertising purposes, please review the above “Opt Out” section.
Advertising and content on other websites
Meridian Adventure uses 3rd party tools to distribute ads on a variety of websites. Meridian Adventure neither supports nor endorses the goals, causes or statements of the websites which display our advertisements.
Use of social plug-ins
The website uses social plugins such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest (hereafter referred to as “plugins” or “social media”). When a user accesses a page of our website that contains such a plug-in, his/her browser will establish a direct connection to the plugin servers. The content of the plug-in will be transmitted directly to your browser, which will integrate it in the web page. Through this embedding, plugins will gain the information that your browser has accessed the respective page of our website, even if you do not have a social media profile or are not logged in to a social media site at the time. This information (including your IP address) will be transmitted directly to a social media server in the USA by your browser, and will be stored there.
If a user is a Social media member and does not wish the social media plugins to gather data about him/her via the provider’s website and link this to the user’s member data stored at the relevant social media server locations, the user must log out of their social media website or app prior to visiting the provider’s website.
How You Can Access or Change Your Personal Data
If you wish to update any Personal Data you have previously provided, or to exercise any right of access, correction, rectification, portability, deletion, or opposition to the processing of your Personal Data that you may have under applicable law, or withdraw consent to the processing of your Personal Data, please login and update your profile directly or contact us via our “Enquire Page“. To protect your privacy and security, we will verify your identity before granting access or making changes to your Personal Data. Any request to access your Personal Data will be answered within a reasonable timeframe (not longer than 4 weeks). We reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for such access in accordance with applicable laws. You may also unsubscribe from or object to anytime the processing of your Personal Data for purposes of profiling, advertising and market and opinion research.
You may also contact our Data Protection Officer at the following dedicated number:
+45 31 131 016 (charges may apply) or any other number that we may advise from time to time.
Moreover, you may complain with your local supervisory authority for Personal Data.
We have free apps for a variety of mobile devices and use versions of our regular website that have been optimized for mobile. These apps and mobile websites process the personal details you give us in much the same way as our website does – and they also allow you to use location services to find accommodations nearby. With your consent (if this is required under the applicable law), we may send you push notifications with information about your reservation.
A Special Note About Minors
Persons under the age of 18 are not eligible to use the accommodation reservation services on our Site. Minors can normally accompany their parent(s) or legal custodian(s) who have booked an accommodation, except where indicated otherwise in the accommodation property policies.
Terms and Conditions
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Leave every detail of your journey to our team, who will curate an utterly bespoke experience for you based on your interests and desires. Contact our team of experts to reserve, or explore ways to tailor your journey:
+33 63 342 7761